, SharePoint Magazine
> Customizing the Application master page
Customizing the Application master page
My fifth article in a 6 part series on Master Pages and SharePoint has been published to www.sharepointmagazine.net. You can view the article here: http://sharepointmagazine.net/technical/development/customizing-application-master-pages-masterpages-and-sharepoint-part-5-of-6 .
This article is the fifth part of a larger series of articles:
1. Introduction to Master Pages.
2. Examining the out of the box Master Pages in SharePoint.
3. Developing a custom Master Page for SharePoint.
4. Deploy a Master Page for a production ready system.
5. Customizing the Application.master Page.
6. Incorporating a Master Page into a SharePoint site definition.
In this series we have discussed master pages and we have shown how to customize a master page. Before we finish up the process (i.e.: incorporating master pages into a SharePoint site definition), I would like to diverge and talk about a frustrating subject – application master pages. Customizing application master pages is a little different than other master pages within SharePoint. Thus, I wanted to break this out into its own article to describe the subtle complexities of them and why they exist.